Saturday, March 10, 2012

Horror: Different Colors

One of the stranger concepts I've thought about isn't really horror but more of a "what if" scenario.  It's a little bit weird but I think that if you ponder the idea, it could lead to some startling observations and thoughts.  The idea is loosely based on the Tower of Babel.

For non religious people and some non gamers (people who haven't played Illusion of Gaia or Actraiser 2), the Tower of Babel was a building created by the people of the world in order to show their supremacy over God.  They were a prideful people and in launching such an endeavor they wanted to prove their dominance in creation.  What they got instead was retribution from God, who sundered the tower and caused the people of the world to speak in different languages (so that they could not understand each other).

Imagine then the scenario.  What if we all saw in different colors.  That is, when I say the sky is blue I see my color blue, but you might see instead my color green or red.  I have no way to tell what colors you see because I cannot see through your eyes.  Even if I were to see through your vision, my brain may translate and see my colors instead.

What does this imply?  Let's say that one day you wake up and blue and red have changed places.  Things like the sky and water, a reflection of the sky, are now red, and blood is the color blue (instead of seeing warm living people, most people look oxygen starved like corpses.  What would you think and do?  Is there something wrong with me?  Something wrong with the world?  Have I been transported to a different reality?  Even worse, what if colors were inverted instead.  When you use a color inverter on a graphics altering program (like Photoshop) you can invert the colors of an image and create something dark and weird.  Would you try asking people you trust?  And would you believe them?

Let's say instead of color, one aspect of the world were changed (like in the show Sliders).  For example, the legal limit of alcohol consumption were changed to 17 instead of 18 (in America).  You might say, "I thought it was 18," and everyone else would say, "no it's always been 17.  You're wrong, I don't know where you got this idea."  Would you simply dismiss the idea as a failure of your memory?  Or instead consider that there is a conspiracy that is working against you?

It goes to show that for humans, even the smallest change can cause powerful effects.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment